Saturday 16 May 2020

REPLY for INTERVIEW (from Chicago)




Dear...,
Reading a few initial questions from your survey, I realize you (as many others) had made a default assumption to label my COME_OUT project is for LGBT population only. Unfortunately, you did not come to experience it directly to have an accurate understanding about this project. Therefore, I attached the artistic statement of COME_OUT for you to have a read. The original Vietnamese name is OUTSIDE (NGOÀI SÁNG). Because LGBT is also one of many subjects involved in this work, so I used the title COME_OUT as an English version. It was a play and word metaphor as I did not see much different in the meaning.
My previous project involved Lesbians subjects, and thus, my identity had been assumed and identified to LGBT population. And this project COME_OUT, in addition to my mockery of the ridicules and indecisions regarding our social prejudices, was also a statement reflecting my questions about LGBT. I do not like to be moulded or labelled myself rigidly as these categorical gender definitions in our society. I am a woman, and my sexual identity can be defined by the ones I fall in love with. Some people think I am bisexual. I wish I could be. In my perspective relating to relationship, bisexuals have a lot of choices because of predestined closeness opportunities. I personally find bisexuals are very attractive and interested people, but I do not think I am one of them.
Sexuality, in our Asian perspective, is a private matter, inside a closed room. Thus, the difference in sexuality should just project inside of that room. In response to the question regarding my gender, I took off my clothes, naked under the light of a light bulb inside that closed room. So, who am I, fully naked in front of you while your eyes fix on my body? If you are a man and I love men, but I do not love you. Well, I cannot make love to you. If you are a woman and I love women, but I do not love you. I cannot make love to you either. Does the question of sexuality matter when there is no love between us? Sex, with me, is a mysterious domain in which I could only reach out to very few people, at the time, I knew it was love.
If stripping off is the core answer, is this really the answer here? You and I, we do not love each other, why we try to find out what are in that closed room and the inner hidden corners of love? That was what I mentioned in the artistic statement of COME_OUT. I also do not want to frame the viewers through my judgment and perspective. Many people have many different feelings, and I welcome those thoughts.
I attached the artistic statement about OUTSIDE (NGOÀI SÁNG) or COME-OUT as English version. There are quotes from famous people. Those thoughts were from ancient times, and still valid today. I hope you will have better understanding regarding the question about my gender identity. After this reply, if you still want to process the survey, let me know.

and in this interview video, there's English subtitles translated my words about Come_out project (from 2:52)

H. (05/05/2020)
PS : I'm sorry for the delay, because my English is not good enough (I study Russian and Japanese), I have to wait for my friend to translate for me.
đọc sơ vài câu hỏi ban đầu, tôi thấy bạn cũng giống như vài người, mặc định cho tác phẩm COME_OUT của tôi là thuộc về LGBT. Tiếc là bạn không đến xem trực tiếp để cảm nhận rõ ràng hơn. tôi gởi statement của COME_OUT cho bạn đọc trước nghen. Tên gốc tiếng Việt của tôi là NGOÀI SÁNG, vì LGBT cũng là một trong những câu trả lời của tôi gởi gắm qua tác phẩm này, nên tôi mới chuyển ngữa sang tiếng Anh là COME_OUT, như một cách chơi chữ, vì xét về ý nghĩa cũng không có nhiều khác biệt.

Vì trước đây tôi từng làm tác phẩm về Lesbian, và như thế, tôi được mặc định là người thuộc về LGBT. Và COME_OUT, ngoài những giễu nhại, nhún vai của tôi về những định kiến của xã hội, cũng là một câu trả lời của tôi về những thắc mắc về giới tính này. Tôi không thích đóng mộc, dán mác lên mình dưới những định nghĩa thường tình đã được đổ khuôn bởi người khác trong xã hội. Tôi là một người phụ nữ, còn bản sắc tính dục của tôi tùy thuộc vào người tôi yêu thương. Có người nghĩ tôi là bisexual, tôi ước gì mình được như thế, bởi người lưỡng tính có khá nhiều lựa chọn bởi có nhiều cơ hội nhân duyên. Bản thân tôi thấy họ là những người hấp dẫn, lôi cuốn, nhưng tôi không  nghĩ mình được như họ. 

Chuyện tính dục, trong quan điểm của người Á Đông chúng tôi, là những câu chuyện riêng tư, bên trong căn phòng kín. như vậy, sự khác biệt về bản giới tính dục, cũng chỉ là chuyện thuộc về bên trong căn phòng ấy. Để trả lời cho câu hỏi về giới tính của mình, tôi đã trút bỏ quần áo, khỏa thân hoàn toàn dưới ánh sáng của bóng đèn bên trong căn phòng kín. Như vậy, tôi là ai, khi khỏa thân hoàn toàn trước mắt bạn? vì dụ bạn là một người đàn ông, tôi yêu một người đàn ông, nhưng tôi lại không yêu bạn, thì, tôi cũng không thể làm tình được với bạn. Và, bạn là một người nữ, người tôi yêu là một phụ nữ, nhưng tôi cũng không thể làm tình với bạn. như vậy, câu hỏi về tính dục đặt ra ở đây để làm gì, khi giữa chúng ta không có tình yêu. chuyện tình dục, đối với tôi là một miền bí ẩn, mà, tôi chỉ có thể chạm tới với rất ít người, mà khi đó, tôi biết rằng đó là tình yêu. Vậy thì, sự trút bỏ là câu trả lời, ở đây có thực sự là câu trả lời không? tôi và bạn không yêu nhau, vậy thì tìm hiểu về những góc kín sâu xa bên trong riêng tự của tình yêu để làm gì, đó là điều tôi đề cập đến trong COME_OUT. NHưng bởi tôi cũng không muốn đổ khuôn người xem qua nhận định của mình, vì có rất nhiều người có những cảm nhận khác nhau, và tôi cũng rất hoan nghênh những suy nghĩ đó. 

tôi gởi bạn xem statement về NGOÀI SÁNG của tôi, là những trích dẫn từ những người nổi tiếng. Những suy nghĩ đó đã có từ rất xa xưa, và vẫn còn giá trị đến bây giờ. hy vọng bạn hiểu. và sau trả lời này. nêu bạn vẫn còn muốn giữ nguyên những câu hỏi, hãy cho tôi biết. 

:)
H.






H. (05//05/2020)

No comments:

Interview from 2019

 tự nhiên thấy bài trả lời phỏng vấn hồi 2019. post lại để nhắc mình cần tập trung đừng đi lệch quỹ đạo hơn nữa.  :)  Profile -Name: Himiko ...